Mon Dec 10 - Sun Dec 16
Total: 15 stores read.
Favorites: "Printcrime", "Falling", "The People's Republic of the Edelweiss Village Putt-Putt Golf Course", "Product Development".
Mon Dec 10:
- "The Remember" by Aimee Bender, _The Girl in the Flammable Skirt_ (collection). A woman finds her lover is devolving.
- "The Healer" by Aimee Bender, _The Girl in the Flammable Skirt_ (collection). A story of a small town, a girl with a hand of ice, and a girl with a hand of fire.
Tues Dec 11:
- "The Curmudgeon" by Adam Ares, LCRW (Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet) #21. A man kills a curmudgeon in his neighborhood, then leaves his girlfriend for a woman at the coffee bar, and regrets it.
- "Two Variations" by Jeanette Westwood, LCRW (Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet) #21. A lizard/snake (?) plays backgammon with a woman and describes the two outcomes that will result from the next roll of the dice.
Wed Dec 12:
- "Ivory Tower" by Bruce Sterling, _Futures from Nature_ (flash fiction collection). Future physicists coordinate cutting-edge physics via the internet and their own collective in the Asian Desert.
(NOTE: _Futures from Nature_ is a collection of flash-fiction sci-fi stores printed in Nature between 1999 and 2006. It's my emergency "I need to read a story" book because the stories take about 5 minutes. Since I'm interested in flash fiction anyway, this works out great.)
Thurs Dec 13:
- "The Perfect Lover" by Paul DiFilippo, _Futures from Nature_. Military and scientists send a semi-self-aware bomb to kill a terrorist.
- "Printcrime" by Cory Doctorow, _Futures from Nature_. The narrator's grandfather, jailed for printing household objects, comes back with a new plan.
- "The People's Republic of the Edelweiss Village Putt-Putt Golf Course" by M.K. Hobson, Realms of Fantasy, Feb 2008. A young man who runs a miniature golf course discovers that a kingdom of small people is living in the castles; his sympathy-for-the-proletariat girlfriend gets involved and things are rent asunder.
- "Hobnoblin Blues" by Elizabeth Bear, Realms of Fantasy, Feb 2008. The story of Loki (yes, that Loki) as a modern rock star, told in a mix of media interview, regular narrative and second-person POV from one of the band members.
Fri Dec 14:
- "Falling" by Benjamin Rosenbaum, _Futures from Nature_. In a future regulated by cameras and swarms of small flying bots, a man meets a woman who is trying to set herself free.
- "The Abdication of Pope Mary III" by Robert J. Sawyer, _Futures from Nature_. Quantum physics and the resignation of the Pope collide in a newscast about the meeting of Cardinals to elect a new pope.
Sat Dec 15:
- "The King of Sentences" by Jonathan Lethem, New Yorker, Dec 17, 2007. Two fans of a writer pay a visit to him in a small town and have a strange encounter.
- "The King of the Djinn" by Benjamin Rosenbaum, Realms of Fantasy, Feb 2008. A man who drives a soda truck through the desert meets a djinn and makes a choice regarding the fate of his son and himself.
Sun Dec 16:
- "Spawn of Satan?" by Nicola Griffith, _Futures from Nature_. The increase in selective egg donation by older parents is causing an upswing in intelligent, polite, well-adjusted children.
- "Product Development" by Nancy Kress, _Futures from Nature_. A board of an electronics company reviews a new product that jams all electronic devices.