Fennel, Orange and Arugula Salad
2 oranges (I recommend tangerines or tangelos)
1 fennel bulb
4 ounces arugula leaves
1/3 cup black olives [NOTE: We've never actually used these]
For the dressing
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 small garlic clove, crushed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. With a vegetable peeler, cut strips of zest from the oranges (tangelos), leaving the pith behind.
2. Cut the strips into thin julienne strips. Cook in boiling water for a few minutes. Drain.
3. Peel the oranges (tangelos), removing all the white pith. Cut the orange (tangelo) flesh crossways into thin rounds and discard any seeds.
4. Cut the fennel bulb in half lengthwise and slice across the bulb as thinly as possible. It is easier to do this with a food processor fitted with a slicing disk or using a mandoline.
5. Combine the oranges (tangelos) and fennel in a serving bowl and toss with the arugula leaves.
6. Mix together the oil, vinegar, garlic and seasoning and pour over the salad. Toss well and let stand for a few minutes. Sprinkle with the black olives and julienne strips of orange (tangelo) zest.
[7. Eat it all up. All of it. Wish you had more.]
Very tasty. And it helps that we're using tangelo/tangerines, upon which I am completely hooked.
No picture could do its tastiness justice, so I won't try. There is a variant at the Colavita site, which contains a poor picture.