jeffsoesbe (jeffsoesbe) wrote,

The Adventure of the Dead Battery

So yesterday we had footy club practice/game at the park downtown and besides the area around the broken sprinkler in the field (quickly nicknamed "The Swamp") which smelled like a sewage treatment facility, practice was a good time. We did about an hour of drills then played a small game. My side got behind early, and big, but staged a rally (including both C and I scoring goals) that fell a little short of success. But all had fun and a workout.

I took someone's bony butt in the thigh during a marking contest, so now I'm limping a little today. I'm also very tired today, but footy isn't the only reason for my fogheaded-ness.

C had come to footy from work, and me from home, so we were going to head back home and I would do the Wednesday ritual of stopping at Yogurt Monkey and getting yogurt-based treats for everyone. I get to YM and notice there's a message on my phone from C saying that the van won't start.

I truck back to the field, get C, we stop at YM and get yogurts for us and the kids, and go home. We both wolf down our yogurts because we're starving after practice (mmmm, yogurt with peanut butter cups for dinner), grab the jumper cables, and head back to the car.

Attempts to jump it prove not successful. A little power trickles from the Honda to the van, but not enough to start the car. So we call AAA. C heads back home with the Honda because it's now 10PM and she has to be at work at 7AM. I wait in the van while the lights at the tennis court go off and plunge the park into darkness.

People walking their dogs at night (I suspect they were "midnight poopers") stare at me funny because I'm sitting in a van next to a dark park looking at the web on my iPhone. I'm surprised that neither the cops nor George Michael showed up.

Finally, AAA arrives at 10:45. The guy has a gigantic truck (for both helping folks and towing things), and he's one of those taciturn people who doesn't say much. Very quickly he hooks up his giant truck to the van battery and the van starts right up. All he says is "hell of some lighting earlier, huh?" when hooking things up and "that's it" when done. I, of course, thank him profusely.

I drive the van all around the freeways for 30 minutes, hopefully charging everything back up. When I get home, at 11:30, I park in the garage and try to start the van. No luck. That is one dead (d-e-d) battery. Back inside, I tell C the deal and we agree she'll take the Honda to work tomorrow. Finally, I take a shower, eat dinner at 12:15, watch in amazement at the lightning and thunder outside (we don't get thunderstorms here much) and finally go to sleep somewhere close to 1.

Since I got up at 6 to get the kids ready for school, I'm a little tired today. Limping also, because of the sore thigh. And that was my adventure!

Anyone else have an adventure yesterday?
Tags: adventures, life

  • oh yeah, posting

    Been a little while here. What's been up? - Halloween. My wife and I dressed as Jack and Sally. She did the costume work and it was amazing! Even if…

  • what's making me happy this week - 26 October 2015

    It's been some weeks of crazy busy crazy here, between work and kid sports and getting math contest and math club preparation off the ground and…

  • what's making me happy this week

    I haven't done one of these in a while because there isn't really one specific thing that's making me happy recently. Overall, life is solid and…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened